Unfortunately, there is currently no way to decrypt files that have been encrypted by WannaCry, however there are researchers right now totally dedicated to this kind of cyber threat. The WannaCry, is just the Tip of an iceberg and prevention could be your only hope today.
I am an ardent fan of Kaspersky Security products so if you are reading this, then I do hope that you get on board!
Here are several pieces of advice on how to prevent infection and minimize damage.
- If you already have a Kaspersky Lab security solution installed on your system, then we recommend doing the following: Manually run a scan for critical areas, and if the solution detects MEM:Trojan.Win64.EquationDrug.gen (that is how our antivirus solutions detect WannaCry), remove it and reboot your system.
- If you’re a Kaspersky security user, keep System Watcher on. It’s essential to fight any new variants of the malware that might emerge.
- Install software updates. This case desperately calls for all Windows users to install the MS17-010 system security update. Microsoft even released it for systems that are no longer officially supported, such as Windows XP or Windows 2003. Seriously, install it right now; it’s very important.
- Create file backups on a regular basis and store the copies on storage devices that are not constantly connected to the computer. If you have a recent backup copy, then an encryptor infection is not a catastrophe; you can spend a few hours reinstalling the operating system and apps, then restore your files and move on. If you’re just too busy to handle a backup, take advantage of the backup feature built into Kaspersky Total Security, which can automate the process.
- Use a reliable antivirus. Kaspersky Internet Security can detect WannaCry both locally and during attempts to spread it over a network. Moreover, System Watcher, a built-in module, can roll back any unwanted changes, which means that it will prevent file encryption even for those malware versions that are not yet in antivirus databases.
- “New to you” – Discover more content on your YouTube homepage - October 26, 2021
- How To Prepare Your Website For The Holiday Shopping Season - October 23, 2021
- WhatsApp reinvents the ‘Yellow Pages’ - October 19, 2021